Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To Spank or Not to Spank

                                                To Spank or Not to Spank
 

   I feel that there are good views on each, "to spank" or "not to spank." Everyone has a different strong opinion on which they feel. 
 
   Exploring the feelings of a parent who says that it's okay to spank, according to http://www.toddlerstoday.com/articles/toddlers/to-spank-or-not-to-spank-3101/, says that "A toddler cannot be reasoned with. They are completely self-absorbed and have little to no fear they don't understand danger." I think that there are only some special times when a child should be spanked. For example, if they do something, and are put into a timeout but don't listen, and keep leaving, spanking could be okay. According to Paris Cosby, she says that as long as it isn't done out of anger, and only used after other techniques have failed, she thinks that it is fine. She also states that they should only be spanked once on the bum. I feel that it is okay to spank as long as it isn't hard or done very often, only at special times. 

    Many people say that children shouldn't be spanked because it teaches children violence at a young age when they are punished for hitting someone by hitting, it isn't good. I think this is true, but sometimes needs to be used. Using what they learned, they may hit their siblings or friends when they're upset, but all they're doing, is imitating their parents. Research shows that children that were spanked are more aggressive. Some parents spank their children for no reason, and I feel that were wrong. Inner discipline isn't taught through spanking. 

   After looking at all of this research I still feel that spanking is okay, but only when used in special situations, and it's not very hard. When I was littler I remember if I did something really bad, I'd usually get spanked. Once I got spanked with a wooden spoon, and I really don't think that was right. I also associate spankings with birthdays, because you usually get spanked on your birthday, the number of times depending on your age. I feel that each parent has their own opinion and it's their child, so I feel that as long as they aren't being hurt, it's okay to spank every now and then.


http://www.toddlerstoday.com/articles/toddlers/to-spank-or-not-to-spank-3101/
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/is_spanking_children_ok_calvin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment